USAEE Case Competition
The United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE) Case Competition is a team-based competition focused on energy economics, open to teams of current students. Participating teams will work on the designated case problem over a period of three weeks and submit a written report detailing their methods and solution to USAEE. A complete solution to the problem will require teams to have knowledge in economics, engineering, and policy analysis. The three teams with the best solutions will be invited to present their results at a session at the November 12-15, 2017 35 th USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Houston, Texas.
By participating in the USAEE Case Competition, students will be able to demonstrate their skills and ideas for potential employers and can win monetary prizes while contributing to solutions for challenging current energy economics problems. The top three teams will be invited to publicly present their results at the USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Houston, Texas and compete for the top three positions. The prizes will be $2,500 for the first place team, $2,000 for second place, and $1,500 for third (in addition, conference fees will be waived for up to two members of each invited team).
This year, the competition is open to students members of USAEE or IAEE from all over the world. Selected teams will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Houston.
The USAEE Case Competition registration form is located here.
Examples of successful submissions from the 2016 USAEE Case Competition can be found here.
USAEE Case Competition Schedule
- July 14 - Registration closes
- July 15 - Case competition packets distributed to teams
- August 6 - Written reports from teams due back to USAEE
- October 1 - Top three teams will be notified and invited to present at the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Houston, Texas.
- Nov 12-15 - Top three teams will present their work at a special concurrent session of the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Houston, Texas.
USAEE Case Competition Rules
- All participants must be members of the International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) and must be a student as of July 15, 2017. (Note: USAEE membership automatically grants IAEE membership and international teams are invited to participate.)
- Teams must be between 2 and 5 participants.
- The written report must be less than 8,000 words (excluding references), with figures and tables counting as 200 words each.
- A panel of judges will read the submitted reports and choose three teams to present their work at the USAEE/IAEE Conference. Conference fees will be waived for up to two students from each team. (Note: students that are selected as one of the top teams and have already registered for the conference will get their conference fees reimbursed)
- At the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Houston, TX, each of the three teams will present their case competition solution at a special concurrent session. The panel of judges will determine the order of the top three teams based on the contents of the presentations.
- The prizes will be $2,500 for the first place team, $2,000 for second place, and $1,500 for third place.
- More detailed instructions will be provided with the case competition materials.
Sponsorship opportunities are still available, and sponsors are invited to participate in defining the case problem and judging the submitted solutions. All inquiries about the USAEE Case Competition should be directed to Parth Vaishnav (firstname.lastname@example.org).
USAEE Case Competition Sponsor