The United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE) Case Competition is a team-based competition focused on energy economics, open to teams of students at North American Universities. This year, the topic for the competition will be the evolving business model of electric utilities in response to new technologies (smart grids, energy storage, microgrids, etc). Participating teams will work on the designated case problem over a period of three weeks and submit a written report detailing their methods and solution to USAEE. A complete solution to the problem will require teams to have knowledge in economics, engineering, and policy analysis. The three teams with the best solutions will be invited to present their results at a session at the July 28-31, 2013 USAEE/IAEE North American Conference in Anchorage, AK.
By participating in the USAEE Case Competition, students will be able to demonstrate their skills and ideas for potential employers and can win monetary prizes while contributing to solutions for challenging current energy economics problems. The top three teams will compete for $5,000 for first place, $4,000 for second place, and $3,000 third place cash prizes (in addition, conference fees will be waived for up to two members of each invited team).
The USAEE Case Competition registration form is located here.
Examples of successful submissions from the 2012 USAEE Case Competition can be found here.
- March 10 - Registration closes
- March 11 - Case competition packets distributed to teams
- March 31 - Written reports from teams due back to USAEE
- April 19 - Top three teams will be notified and invited to present at the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Anchorage, AK.
- July 28-31 - Top three teams will present their work at a special concurrent session of the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Anchorage, AK. The order of the three teams will be determined and announced at the conference.
- All participants must be a member of the International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) and be a student or recent graduate of a North American University (note: USAEE membership automatically grants IAEE membership). You may join by visiting here.
- Teams must be between 2 and 5 participants.
- The written report must be less than 8,000 words (excluding references), with figures and tables counting as 200 words each.
- A panel of judges will read the submitted reports and choose three teams to present their work at the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Anchorage, AK. Conference fees will be waived for up to two students from each team. (Note: students that are selected as one of the top teams and have already registered for the conference will get their conference fees reimbursed)
- At the USAEE/IAEE Conference in Anchorage, AK each of the three teams will present their case competition solution at a special concurrent session. The panel of judges will determine the order of the top three teams based on the contents of the presentations.
- The prizes will be $5,000 for the first place team, $4,000 for second place, and $3,000 for third place.
- More detailed instructions will be provided with the case competition materials.
Sponsorship opportunities are still available, and sponsors are invited to participate in defining the case problem and judging the submitted solutions. All inquiries about the USAEE Case Competition should be directed to Eric Hittinger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please click here for a listing of our Case Competition sponsorship opportunities.