USAEE and IAEE are pleased to continue the Dennis J. O'Brien USAEE/IAEE Student Paper Award program for student papers on energy economics.
Up to 10 Student Paper Awards may be given, each consisting of a $500 cash prize plus a waiver of conference registration fees (a value of $355) for the 32nd IAEE International Conference, June 21-24, 2009.
Four of these award recipients will also be invited to present their papers at the Best Student Paper Competition on the first day of the conference. These four students will receive an additional $250 cash prize, for a total of $750. A panel of judges at the student paper session will select one of the four papers to receive the Best Student Paper Award.
The winner of the Best Student Paper Award will receive a further $250 cash prize, for a total of $1,000. An award ceremony later in the conference will recognize all recipients of a Student Paper Award.
To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must
- be a full-time student as of the application deadline (or have completed degree within the past 12 months and not be employed full-time);
- be a member of IAEE in good standing. Membership information may be found at https://www.iaee.org/en/membership/application.aspx
The paper must
- be original work completed by the student;
- not be co-authored by a faculty member or other non-student (papers co-authored by students are ok).
Application materials consist of
- Paper abstract; (may be same as abstract submitted to conference, in case one has been submitted);
- Paper - double-spaced; 8.5 by 11 inch page setup; 30 pages maximum (any paper that exceeds the page limitation will be subject to disqualification);
- Letter from applicant stating that applicant meets qualifications listed above (include photocopy of student ID);
- Letter from applicant's advisor or another faculty member familiar with applicant's research confirming that paper meets qualifications listed above and recommending it for consideration.
The application deadline is March 21, 2009. Please submit all materials electronically in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Submission for Best Student Paper Award" in the subject line.
Please note: in order to receive the award, students must attend the conference and present their papers (award recipients who are not part of the special session will be assigned to other conference sessions based on paper topic). All travel and accommodation costs associated with attending the conference are the responsibility of the award recipients.
For further questions regarding the USAEE/IAEE Student Paper Award, please contact David Williams at email@example.com
Dennis J. O'Brien co-founded the US Association of Energy Economics as a chapter of the IAEE in the early 1990s. From 1994-95, he was President of the US chapter. In 1997, he was elected President of the International Association. Those who knew him remember him as being very dedicated to helping students and energy economists in the early stages of their career. He passed away in 2005 on his return from an IAEE Conference.
USAEE is grateful to Southern Company and IAEE for helping to underwrite the 2009 Dennis J. O'Brien USAEE/IAEE Best Student Paper Award.